Friday 3 December 2010

The belonging of Bridget Malrooney



My name is Bridget Malrooney
and i was born of emerald green horses
and frozen men

come to me memory
for it grows pale here within this dimly lit room

the quakers stole my shoes and brought me to silence
brought me to the sweet nothingness of god and tis there god spoke his first words to me
god is not grand nor wiser than i
god is not as tall as the sky
god is merely cut and dry

my blushing pride gave way the day
the day i gave away my dew
the day the men stuck into my back
and mommy brought me cider sticks

those faces loom, disolve again into blue sky
this tender tear falls silent from my eye

my mother was shewd with an unflinching grip
my father was a wisp, a phantom blip
barely visible to the human eye
my father rolled tobacco and drank port wine
with a pot bellied smile

we had shoe string souls
with liquid money burning holes
in my fathers worn out clothes

we drank weak tea and ate potatoe soup
my sister stole the show
and wore pink ribbons
and smiled away the rivers of death

my brothers shushed the silent child in me to another room
and kept me there for an eternity
pushing and pulling segments of my skin
in order for them to show the world what big customers they were

my grandmother was small
delicately placed upon a bed
as frail as a nightingale, her voice was lost 50 years before
when her young love was fighting the invisible war

friendships come and go
delicious girls and cherub boys
we ran the wind in two
and chased dreams so brightly
in was inevitable we would run out sun
which, of course we did

My name is Bridget Malrooney
and i am the light in your eyes

Moons passed by
soldiers came and went in the blink of an eye
lovers wept for the outstretched beauty of my hand
but i never wept for them
i was pure white marble against their molten hands

A man of land brought me flowers for my sill
and i chose him above all others to walk in my shadow
i am asleep
even as the seed within me grows into a beautious child

i am asleep with silent yearnings
ushered away into the rooms of my ancestors
never shall they see the light of day
whilst i am smiling in motherhood

children are the great gift
born out of this hollowed out shell
born into the great expanse of life
with little more than our lacklustre lust
as their starting block

children of such perfect joy
children of light

the one tiny prick in the membrane
i wake up to smell their hair
feel their perfect smiles upon my face
tis almost true
i am almost here

suddenly a jolt
a horse bolts through the horizon
i am catipulted onto earths crust

i can feel
i can see
i can taste
i can hear
i can touch
and above all i can know

I am Bridget Malrooney
here i am

chewed up love
matted hair
wanten wild and free

i am awake
and no man shall ever find the sum of me
and i answer only to the wind

No comments:

Post a Comment